Region: Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC
As a key member of the team, you will take a lead role in estimating heavy civil, municipal infrastructure, highways, airport, site preparation and land development on projects ranging in value from $1M to $20 M+. A core responsibility will include preparation of accurate and timely estimates from start to finish. This process involves engagement with the Construction Manager, the President during the final stages of tender preparation. You will be leading the estimating team, and attending site meetings as required. You will work closely with suppliers and subcontractors and lead the evaluation and selection process for incorporation into the bid submission.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Review with full comprehension the tender document package including instructions to tenderers, the tender form and tender schedules or appendices, tender security requirements, general and supplementary conditions, specifications, geotechnical and environmental reports and tender drawings.
- Organize the estimating team to review plans and specifications, and delegate responsibilities for material takeoffs, subcontractor scopes of work, subcontractor selection, and tender security requirements.
- Review Scope of Work prior to issuing to subcontractors and complete a gap/overlap analysis.
- Direct and lead the estimating team to ensure accuracy in the quantity takeoffs of both in house, and outsourced materials.
- Monitor tender addenda and advise the estimating team of changes occurring during the bid preparation period.
- Prepare questions to the tendering authority to clarify any ambiguous or conflicting issues and information arising from the drawings or specifications.
- Review subcontractor pricing, inclusions, exclusions or qualifications prior to price evaluation.
- Review final estimate and final tender submission.
- Work with the client and/or contract administrators to provide clarification as and when required during the post tender/pre award stage.
- Participate in the negotiation process to provide alternatives or value engineered budget solutions.
- Play a lead role in turning the project over to the construction team of project managers, construction superintendents, and project coordinators on successful tenders including assisting with post award submissions.
- Assist the construction team by estimating extra work items, change orders, credits etc., and advise on major changes in scope of work
- Monitor actual cost to estimated cost
- Upon project completion, conduct debriefing with estimating, and construction teams to discuss positive and negative aspects of the project
Education & Qualifications
- As an experienced Lead Estimator / you should possess a Bachelor's Degree in a related field from an accredited institution with a minimum of 10+ years of experience in a senior estimating capacity, or a combination of 20+ years of field and estimation experience in heavy civil and heavy highway projects ranging from $1M to $20+.
- Thorough understanding with applied knowledge of construction earthwork, structures, paving, underground infrastructure utilities including domestic water, wastewater, storm sewers, electrical and communications conduits.
- Knowledge and understanding of environmental best management practices.
- Thorough knowledge of Provincial OH&S guidelines and regulations.
- Advanced knowledge of HCSS Heavy Bid
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Project.
- Demonstrated decision making skills with the ability to work in a fast paced, stressful, deadline oriented environment
- Demonstrated ability to think "outside of the box" and conceptualize and implement creative solutions to complex problems
- Previous experience in leading, developing and mentoring other team members and junior estimators
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Wacor offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which will be commensurate with experience and education.
Wacor Holdings Ltd. has grown from a small family operation to one of the largest civil infrastructure contractors on Central Vancouver Island. Possessing a large fleet of trucks and equipment, the company has a diversified background in several construction markets. Wacor’s list of completed jobs includes roads and highways, mining, airport runway rehabilitation, infrastructure replacement, residential and commercial subdivision developments, and landfill closure projects. Wacor is currently implementing its growth strategy by hiring and investing in experienced leaders in the construction industry who share the same vision of safety, quality, and service. Wacor supports a collaborative team environment and values motivated individuals who take pride in their work. If you want to be part of an energetic, exciting team of professionals, and want to work in an environment where hard work is recognized, appreciated and rewarded, please apply for this position.
How to Apply
Please fill out the job application form below. You will need to upload your cover letter and resume as PDF files.
Alternatively, you can drop your resume off at our office located at 1394 B Spruce Street, Campbell River, BC, email your resume to email@example.com, or fax it to (250) 287-9634.